I’ve been wanting to write, but have been putting it off, since something I was (am) going to mention was guaranteed to get my family worried. So I’ve been putting it off until I felt better, which I am. Whether I stay feeling this good, though, remains to be seen.

Things have been pretty quiet this side. Nothing to write home about. Usual story. We’ve been very lazy over the weekends and not bothered to go out much. On Saturday night, we got to bed quite late, probably around midnight. Around 4am, I woke up feeling incredibly sore in the front of my chest, on the right hand side.

Last year, I had a chest infection, which was so hectic I must have pulled a muscle in my diaphragm. Due to that annoying post nasal drip, my airways have taken a long time to heal, so I still have a dry cough, which, of course, is annoying that muscle in my diaphragm. That, and bending to the right all the time obviously isn’t helping.

So, on Sunday, I took an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller before going to visit Ulf and Laura, who is stuck in bed after breaking her pelvis bone. It didn’t hurt again for the rest of the day and I went to sleep without any problems. 04:30, Monday morning was a different story. The pain was back and if anything, worse than before. Somehow I managed to get comfortable and dozed off, though I don’t think I slept properly. I went to the pharmacist early that morning, since the doctor wasn’t in. I got a cough suppressant and a muscle relaxant. That and 3 more anti-inflammatory tablets and a painkiller kept the pain at bay for the rest of the day.

Going to bed last night was a different story. It was impossible to get comfortable and was unable to sleep. About 1am, I had the uncontrollable urge to cough and set my ribs on fire. Another painkiller later, I lay down in what I knew was an uncomfortable position, but seemed to be the only way I could allow the pain to subside. Eventually it did and I realised that the only way I was going to get any rest was sitting in my wheelchair. Somehow, I managed to get in my chair and Marc gave me a muscle relaxant as well. A couple hours later, I realised I was dozing off and asked Marc to recline my chair a bit so I could put a pillow behind me. I just dozed until the alarm went off at 6:00.

I felt like death warmed over by the time we got to work. The pain was bearable, but I was exhausted. I made myself breakfast (I take milk to work, for some pro nutro) and doped up on meds. Slowly but surely, I felt better. By 13:00, they were wearing off and the pain was returning, but I did not want to take anything and then ride into the doctor’s office feeling all bouncy. By the time 14:00 rolled by, I could feel every bump my chair went over. The doc gave me a voltaren injection and it has made a world of difference. Strangely enough, I’m not even coughing, either, but I’ll still take some cough suppressant before I go to sleep. I came straight home after the doctor’s appointment, not knowing what a positive effect the injection would have on me. I fell asleep for an hour, but did not want to sleep too long and spoil my sleeping pattern.

I’ll keep you updated how it goes over the next few days. The doc did suggest that I should use a painkiller or muscle relaxant as needed, but so far so good…